All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2015 12:32 pm  #1

Best Way

Ok, with 3 boys, and myself, what is the easiest buget build?  I have probably close to 30 model cars already in house, so I'm thinking I'm wanting to go that style.  So I'll need to get my hands on the chasis that are RTR or should I build my own?  I've also thought about maybe buying off ebay, since the build process would take a little longer.  I know there are RTR set ups, and I even thought about that for starters as I'm still learning what all I would need to actually build my own set ups.

1/17/2015 7:41 pm  #2

Re: Best Way

The Parma Edge chassis is not a bad place to start, they are sturdy, consistant, and economical, just probably need to change the tires. That will get you up and running, then you can get into building your own.

1/18/2015 6:18 am  #3

Thanks. I was reading up on the Parma ones.  I was also looking at possibly buying a hand made chassis so I can get a hands on look at how it's done.  I know I'll need a fixture, and select tools.  I've watched several videos on building them as well.

1/18/2015 3:30 pm  #4

If it were me doing it all over again, I would start with the Edge Chassis RTR cars. Depending where you get them, they are around $50.00-$60.00. You are going to spend that much buying all the parts to build one. It's ready to run. You could use the S16d motor and solder the wheelie bars and race that night. Once you get the hang of things, then you could practice on "tweeking" things like gear ratio, tire size, changing bodies, etc..... THEN, if this is the hobby for you, you can buy a chassis jig and a few $10.00 chassis kits and go from there. I am sure the racers at your local track would be more than glad to help out, you just have to weed through the real things and the BS. LOL! Remember, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. Some like the bodies tight on the chassis, I like mine to float.
If buying cars off ebay is what you want to do, be careful. Talk to your local racers and find out who they trust as far as you buying cars off ebay. If you are on Facebook, find "Wes and Ben's slot cars". It is a site where reputible people sale their cars. Most of them I have delt with have a satisfaction guarantee. ( a little more pricey, but hey, you have to pay for quality stuff.

All that being said, welcome to the hobby. Hope you and the family enjoy.

1/18/2015 4:10 pm  #5

charley wrote:

If it were me doing it all over again, I would start with the Edge Chassis RTR cars. Depending where you get them, they are around $50.00-$60.00. You are going to spend that much buying all the parts to build one. It's ready to run. You could use the S16d motor and solder the wheelie bars and race that night. Once you get the hang of things, then you could practice on "tweeking" things like gear ratio, tire size, changing bodies, etc..... THEN, if this is the hobby for you, you can buy a chassis jig and a few $10.00 chassis kits and go from there. I am sure the racers at your local track would be more than glad to help out, you just have to weed through the real things and the BS. LOL! Remember, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. Some like the bodies tight on the chassis, I like mine to float.
If buying cars off ebay is what you want to do, be careful. Talk to your local racers and find out who they trust as far as you buying cars off ebay. If you are on Facebook, find "Wes and Ben's slot cars". It is a site where reputible people sale their cars. Most of them I have delt with have a satisfaction guarantee. ( a little more pricey, but hey, you have to pay for quality stuff.

All that being said, welcome to the hobby. Hope you and the family enjoy.

Thanks for the input.  I've always been into model car building and have dabbled a little in HO slots.  I'm for sure going with a RTR for my first car.  I'll get the boys one as well.  The closest track to me is about an hour or so away, so it'll have to wait until the weather is a bit more stable.  That's one reason I'm looking into building a track myself.  Lots of local racers here would love something to do in the winter.  I'll look up that Facebook group you suggested too, thanks.

Board footera