All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2014 12:24 pm  #1

TECH and Recomendation

I race on my buddies 1/25 scale 1/8 mile track . I need several sets of tires for the rear (1.01'' X .437) . I found them from $8.98 to $27 and change . The more expensive ones are labeled fish rubber and the cheaper ones are labeled standard rubber . I run Super 16 D motors . Of course I'd like to use the cheaper ones  #pro164  if they work (they might be what's on the cars now) . With that motor am I splitting hairs on the compound ????

Also , Has anyone dealt with NCPHobbies ? That's where I found the tires .

I'm trying to keep this bulleten board going .

Thx for the help ,
Gonzo

10/30/2014 1:13 pm  #2

Re: TECH and Recomendation

I run the JDS 7011 tire in various sizes on everything from a mid six car to a 1.500 car and like them better than the Pro Track I had before.

Last edited by dg4571 (10/30/2014 1:14 pm)

10/30/2014 1:50 pm  #3

The really expensive tires are also usually some anodized hub with a bunch of different hole or spoke patterns versus just being a generic wheel with 5 holes and nowhite lettering on the side. The "Pirrhana" tires, or Fish rubber, have very good grip and work well, but they don't last as long. The normal SBR rubber tires Have decent grip and will last a while longer. On the 1/8th Mile, you may not even notice the difference if there is much glue downtrack, as both will hook up fine.

I have used NCP before, and if you try to order something and they can't get it, they will send you a note along with the rest of your parts saying that, and obviously wont charge you for it. Sometimes the order comes quickly, other times, if they have to wait for the part, it can take a little while to get it.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

11/01/2014 4:34 pm  #4

JDS tires do you have true them, and how do you do that. Stick a pice of sand paper under the car and spin the wheels. Do have to true all tires.

11/01/2014 7:28 pm  #5

You really need one of the tire truing machines on the market to true the tire to the axle and to make sure they are the same size.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

11/01/2014 7:38 pm  #6

I have only ever trued one set of tires, they were really bad, otherwise, out of the tube and on the car.

11/02/2014 7:01 pm  #7

Most of the JDS/WRP tires are "okay" out of the tube.  Pro-Tracks aren't too bad, either.  But seeing how they are mass produced, it never hurts to check 'em.

Measure each tire.  If one is a teeny bit smaller, you will have a bear of a time setting wheelie bars and getting the car to go straight.  It is way easier to get a new set of tires dialed in if they are both the same size.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

11/03/2014 8:36 pm  #8

Thanks for the info

11/04/2014 4:32 am  #9

Thx for  the tire tips .

I bought new ones the next size bigger than I need . That way I can turn the tires in a tire lathe and true them identical to the right size.

Gonzo

11/05/2014 6:37 am  #10

Looks like I'm going to invest in a tire lathe any ideas what to buy?

11/05/2014 3:51 pm  #11

My buddy has a homeade one that works great . I'm building one that attches to my bech drill press  . As far as a commercial one , I'm not familiar with them .

Gonzo

11/05/2014 3:53 pm  #12

papaxi racer wrote:

Looks like I'm going to invest in a tire lathe any ideas what to buy?

Get a Hudy http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

11/05/2014 5:38 pm  #13

Hudy with Triggerman conversion/mod.  Easy to make 2 tires the exact same size without pulling the tire off to measure.  He also verifies the truer is "true".  I have two of these truers, but I make my own tires.

Gonna need a Power supply too, unfortunately.  One capable of at least 8 amps.

Luckily, you only need to buy these items ONCE.

11/06/2014 6:26 am  #14

Goodmoring racers

Thanks again. I put an order for the hudy have the power supply where do I get this triggerman mod ??.

Thanks Papaxi

11/07/2014 8:13 am  #15

Hello lumpy

The huddy with the triggerman converison/mod is this something you order or send to triggerman

Papaxi

11/07/2014 6:49 pm  #16

Google Hudy Triggerman Pro for finished pics.  You can send your unit in for up-fitting.  Dale's (Triggerman) info will be found in your google search.

If you want to install your own kit, that would be the "Triggerman Knob Job".  

I was unable to find the Knob Job kit on Eagle Distributing website.  Crawley or ERI may carry them.  The Triggerman stuff may still be a "cottage industry" upgrade, available only from the guy who makes it.

I know its awkward asking another grown man about "Knob Jobs by Triggerman", but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Last edited by Lumpy (11/07/2014 6:52 pm)

11/11/2014 8:16 pm  #17

Got the new hudy need to learn how to use this little machine. How to true and make my own.

Have to research the triggerman knob job and the double wheel system.

Thanks
Papaxi R

11/16/2014 6:53 pm  #18

Dale Ryan contact info:

E-mail: trigrman@rochester.rr.com
Phone: (EST, remember.) 585.594.9446

11/17/2014 9:00 pm  #19

Lumpy

Thanks for the contact info. I'll see if can contact him.

Papaxi Racer

12/14/2014 2:11 pm  #20

For low power motors, protracks work very well.

Formerly of SARN

Board footera