All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2014 9:38 am  #1

Group 20 w/ 45 degree arm

I have been attempting to bracket race a Grp 20 with a 45 degree arm in a 100 gram car with 1 1/16 rears. All I have been able to accomplish is whatch is spin the wheels all the way down the track.  Am I wasting my time with such a high degree motor? I geared it 10/60 and tried 13/60 but no change. I wanted it to be a outlaw car but can't get it to hook up.

It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance.

10/08/2014 1:20 pm  #2

Re: Group 20 w/ 45 degree arm

how much glue are you using?

Formerly of SARN

10/08/2014 2:44 pm  #3

Macman wrote:

how much glue are you using?

For Outlaw we can only glue to the tree, from there it is clean. Basically all I have been trying.

It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance.

10/09/2014 7:56 am  #4

are you running 1/8 or 1/4 mile? that is a lot of motor for that weight of car to try and run with only gluing to the tree. what size tires are you running? how are you putting the glue down on the track? (what is your =11ptTechnique) and how many feet is it to your tree? the reason i ask is that i have been to tracks that very as much as 2 feet from one to another, from 3ft to 5 ft.

10/09/2014 7:57 am  #5

sorry, i do not know where that =11pt came from.lol

10/09/2014 5:04 pm  #6

RC wrote:

are you running 1/8 or 1/4 mile? that is a lot of motor for that weight of car to try and run with only gluing to the tree. what size tires are you running? how are you putting the glue down on the track? (what is your =11ptTechnique) and how many feet is it to your tree? the reason i ask is that i have been to tracks that very as much as 2 feet from one to another, from 3ft to 5 ft.

1/4 mile, 55 feet long.
As for how far to the tree my guess 2 1/2 - 3 feet
I am afraid it may be too much motor for the car, I have added weight but same result. Surprised it has tires left.

I have almost given up and may put it in a heavier car.

10/10/2014 5:19 am  #7

have your tires been trued? you may want to try a different compound tire depending on the tracks surface. you might try a different gear ratio like 14/52 or 15/52. glueing a track can be a little tricky, I've had great success glueing the tires and pushing the car till the rear wheels are at the tree then I repeat this 3 times then a final coat of glue on the tires and then holding the rear tires off the track till you have made the stageing lights light up then set it down and gently push down on the rear of the car to seat it and you are ready to go. I should have asked you if there is anyone else at your track running the similar setup as you and if they are running well on that track under the same conditions as you. If others can do it then so can you. GOOD LUCK

10/11/2014 3:25 am  #8

Thats good info RC; I have a 93 gram spring steel BB quad 20 FC running brackets @ .83-.84 times... 1 1/16 x .435 protracks... Likes glue!

Formerly of SARN

10/11/2014 3:37 am  #9

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Ben_Kernan/20bracketcar.jpg

not too hard, had this chassis 20 years...

Formerly of SARN

10/12/2014 10:24 pm  #10

Once you blow the tires off the car and proceed to stay in it....you gotta true the tires.   The tires will form a "crust" once you spin them hard (not hooked-up), and will no longer hold glue.

Pop into the Monday night chat for more in-depth ideas and such.  It's a real hoot!

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

10/14/2014 8:38 am  #11

HI Macman,
that looks like a DRS chassis, I have got 3 of the same type chassis that I run s16d motors in and one of them is a corvette funny car. for a year i ran it in brackets and it always ran 10.05-10.10 then i added .05 tubing to stiffen up the rear wheelie bars and rebuilt the motor(blueprinted it) put new .300 wide tires on it just hoping to get into the .9's and when it ran .920 on a new motor i was pleasantly surprised and after 3 more passes it finally setttled in at .905 i can only imagine what your Gr.20 might do, maybe mid .7's.
i just built a MM/PS with a quad Gr20 weighing in at 121 grams, the next time i go to the track will be the end of this month, i hope it runs in the high 7's to low 8's. time will tell..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

10/18/2014 1:43 pm  #12

Anything ever come of this?

Just curious....

10/22/2014 10:20 am  #13

Lumpy wrote:

Anything ever come of this?

Just curious....

Not as of yet. Working on another car.

10/22/2014 7:33 pm  #14

Get after it!

Re-visit your original project, and send pics of what you are working with.  We can helpyou with the advice to build a winning car....

Board footera