All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2011 5:53 pm  #1

Hardtail vs. Slip Joints

If you've raced both chassis, which you prefer and why?
Do you rather run them with or with out glue?
Which motor is better for them to hook up?
Any other information.......?
Slip joint, swing arm or whatever you call them, like in the picture below.

http://bracket500.com/mb/hardslip.jpg

Please only reply if you've raced this chassis.
  DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

8/23/2011 8:14 pm  #2

Re: Hardtail vs. Slip Joints

I have run both and prefer the Hard Tail chassis. They are both consistent. The whole point to the slip joint was to run with no wheelie wheels, but if you have to put a bunch of weight on the car to do this why not just build a hard tail and not have all that weight. I build a hard tail with no wheelie wheels that runs great under 95g. Most of mine are in the .8 range in the 1/4 and I have a couple in the .7 range at 105g. All use very little glue.

8/23/2011 10:11 pm  #3

I have raced hardtail with wheelie bars, hardtail with no bars and slip joints. 

I love my slipjoint for fast brackets/index racing.  It runs .950's within a few thousandths with a worn out big block and no glue.  Easiest car that I have ever raced.  112 grams.

My JDS hardtail with no bars is a perfect 1.000 car.  S16d motor needs no maintenance and will run 1.000's at 59-60 mph all day, but I have the older driveshaft and with a serious ceramic quad motor, the driveshaft would sometimes break the solder joint.  My only complaint.

BUT, my old hardtail inline dragster with wheelie bars can handle any motor. It usually runs A/D in So Cal Comp Eliminator and will run .770-.760 with a ceramic purple dot 20 motor.  Of course it takes some glue to work, but I have run it with s16d motors with no glue also.....  This car can get down to 75 grams with all the weight out, but it usually runs at 90 grams.   

I'm still on the fence as to which one I prefer.  Not saying that the no bars cars won't or can't run quick, but I don't need more cars to figure out right now....  Just like a real Super Comp dragster, my no bar cars are practically maintenance free and easy to run as long as it's around .950-1.0.  The hardtail with bars is pretty easy to go fast, but it takes a lot of glue to run mid .7's...... 

How's that for more confusion and indecision..... 

8/24/2011 4:17 am  #4

Gary has said it best diffrent dragster for diffrent jobs , the slip joints are great no to light glue easy to run cars with lower powered or soft launch set ups , hard tail with wheelie bars can handle any motor go fast and a good platform to learn gluing...what did you youngin's say back in the 70's "diffrent strokes for diffrent folks"

9/21/2011 6:31 pm  #5

Gary Lum wrote:

I have raced hardtail with wheelie bars, hardtail with no bars and slip joints. 

I love my slipjoint for fast brackets/index racing.  It runs .950's within a few thousandths with a worn out big block and no glue.  Easiest car that I have ever raced.  112 grams.

My JDS hardtail with no bars is a perfect 1.000 car.  S16d motor needs no maintenance and will run 1.000's at 59-60 mph all day, but I have the older driveshaft and with a serious ceramic quad motor, the driveshaft would sometimes break the solder joint.  My only complaint.

BUT, my old hardtail inline dragster with wheelie bars can handle any motor. It usually runs A/D in So Cal Comp Eliminator and will run .770-.760 with a ceramic purple dot 20 motor.  Of course it takes some glue to work, but I have run it with s16d motors with no glue also.....  This car can get down to 75 grams with all the weight out, but it usually runs at 90 grams.   

I'm still on the fence as to which one I prefer.  Not saying that the no bars cars won't or can't run quick, but I don't need more cars to figure out right now....  Just like a real Super Comp dragster, my no bar cars are practically maintenance free and easy to run as long as it's around .950-1.0.  The hardtail with bars is pretty easy to go fast, but it takes a lot of glue to run mid .7's...... 

How's that for more confusion and indecision..... 

Gary what kind of length bars did you run on your hardtail rail I am picking up a Raptor motor  tomorrow to put in DVans wall dart 
Royz

Just enjoying Life and Slots

9/21/2011 8:00 pm  #6

Wall dart... HUH....?   

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

9/21/2011 10:44 pm  #7

Roy, they were around 3 3/4".  They don't take too long of a bar....

9/22/2011 2:38 pm  #8

I love the hardtail no bars from the stand point of building.  Nose piece back half and two main rails done!  I have a big block in my hard tail running .960 no glue.  I love my slip joint as well which runs .900 all day long with little glue.  If i set it up special I have had the slip joint run a quickest of .872 with a big block.  I see very little performance difference between the 2.  My hard tail I make long at 11 3/4".  I have also done wheely bar rails as well.  One was a drive shaft one running .860 with absolutely no glue.  The other was an old drs top fuel chassis w quad 20 running .790 with GLUE!

10/30/2011 10:11 pm  #9

i've been .820 in my slip joints......  I haven't built a Hard tail yet but thats in the works

There are no ties in drag racing. Thank god!!!

Board footera