All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2010 3:27 pm  #1

Starting line ethics and behavior?

OPENING A NEW CAN OF WORMS!

Had an issue come up in our last big race with a 13 yr old heckling another 13 yr old racer in a close to the money round.  Racer was coming up to race again after red lighting his last race, other kid kept telling him not to red light, kept saying it as the glue-ins progressed, then said it again out loud as the lights came down.  Race director was not aware.  I got the complaint next day, I told the racer to speak up immediately ask the race director for a reasonable break or delay to get his head straight and focused.  These are big boy toys but, when you are running for $300 1st place in a race it becomes a serious sport.  Ice Chucky was correct these are toy cars, but so are 1/1 scale cars also.  Unless you are making a living with them, they are a luxury item.

What is acceptable?
Where do you draw the line?
How do you punish the offenders?
Should kissing farm animals be legal?  Whoops! wrong forum! LOL

HAVE A GREAT WEEK FOLKS!
Timmy!

Last edited by TIMMY! (6/15/2010 1:31 pm)

"It ain't about Class, It's about FASSST!!!

6/13/2010 4:47 pm  #2

Re: Starting line ethics and behavior?

AS a racer ...trash talk if you want but when the Tower calls Watch the lights or Get ready it is time to shut up and race and the on deck drivers should also. if the tower see a driver being loud an distractive at the line give a warning, a one minute time out and restart the pair,if it continues the offending racer loses with no buy-back. if he doesn't get the message tell him to kiss your donkey on the way out.

6/13/2010 5:11 pm  #3

AMEN,
Thanks,
David

6/13/2010 8:21 pm  #4

Hey, Timmy... I seem to be the crash test dummy at Top Slots for being given "a hard time". I know that if they didn't think I could take it they wouldn't dish it out. But still, on occasion it gets a bit much. And believe it or not, this last Saturday it was a bit much. E* doesn't need to keep telling me not to red-light EVERY time we race. I got it. I agree with the GONZO, once you've rolled out the glue, It's race time and some respect for the racer in the other lane is in order. 'cause you never know what can be distracting to somebody's brain.

6/16/2010 12:21 pm  #5

I feel that I can't let this keep going on without comment...

7/13/2010 3:02 pm  #6

Race Director should handle it.......... if there are rules then enforce them!!!

There are no ties in drag racing. Thank god!!!

8/05/2010 7:07 pm  #7

If anyone talks too much trash to me at the line I will ask the race director to address the situation, Homie don't play that game.  Your opinion of trash talking may be mild banter to me, I don't know.

I don't have to listen to that stuff in my big car, why should I listen to it at my slot car track starting line.

Later,
Timmy!

Last edited by TIMMY! (12/05/2010 8:07 pm)

8/10/2010 7:04 pm  #8

DA BEAST,
I met Scotty in 1985, he was 12 or 13 yrs old and driving a plymouth wagon, lol, he kicked butt in it too, lol!
In 1987 Scotty was in the semi's at the Bracket Finals against a Wichita Falls racer, Scotty was driving an old Gene Snow dodge at the time.  Scotty's motor quit after the burnout and he had his left foot out the open door trying to push the car into the stage light, lol, they finally cought him and he was DQ'd, but he almost made it.
The funny thing is he was probably about 130 lbs at the time and that Dodge was a BIG car, lol.

I will look for your weakness and attack in a nice and quiet way, or sneaky you could call it.
Kill'em with kindness!

Timmy!

8/11/2010 12:21 am  #9

Timmy, I think your approach is mature & appropriate.

Its called "sledging" downunder and I think its ok outside racing.
I like Tee's definition of top light when racing begins, but also like Gonzos burnout/gluing definition too.  As long as everyone is told before the event.

So during racing its over to the Race Controller to make sure things operate correctly and any agrieved racer has to speak up straight away to get a ruling.

The controller could apply many remedies (depending on seriousness/disruption caused)  including:
1. Tell the sledger to be quiet
2.Give warning of DQ for any repeat
3,Actually DQ them from bracket with no buy back or reinstate the victim
4.DQ from the event etc

Sledging outside racing is over to the Promoter/Owner to mediate depending on what environment they are aiming for

I wont comment on the Farm Animal topic because Australians aready Sledge us Kiwis for being overly friendly with our sheep

Mark

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

8/11/2010 6:38 am  #10

Now I have to step in:
I been watching this debate and as far as I am concerned this board is
to help people get ideas, learn the hobby and have fun.
I don't feel that personal issues are for this forum, so please take it
to email.
I work hard for promoting the hobby and this kind of behavior is a big turn off. I will ask that if you racers have personal issues, take them to your track and discuss it with the director or the other racers you have issue with, let's be men and show the younger crowd that we can handle matters on our own and speak up to your local track owner if you have problems.

This is not aimed at anyone particularly, just on the topic.

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

8/11/2010 8:05 am  #11

Tee I agree with you, but what I'm talking about is:
If you have an issue with a fellow racer don't bring in this or any
other forum, take it to your local track talk with whom you have
an issue with and if you can't revolve it, then take it to the director
or track owner.

I work with youths and they like how we all trash talk among us, they come up with they're own lines back at us, it's the nature of
"Da Beast" <-- not a plug..  and it can be fun to a "point".

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

8/11/2010 8:30 am  #12

There is a fine line between fun and good sportsmanship!  Need to know when it is appropriate and when it is not and how far you can take it with each person.  Some tolerate it and some do not.  In any racing you need to develop a thick skin or every drive will get into your head an mess you up!

8/11/2010 8:51 am  #13

This topic was intended to get opinions and it worked very well.  Thanks to all who contributed!
Thx,
Timmy

Last edited by TIMMY! (12/05/2010 8:10 pm)

Board footera