All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2015 7:39 pm  #1

Tire questions

Hey all, I'm pretty new to slot car drag racing and have a few questions about tires.  
All of my bracket cars have Pro Track tires and I think they work just fine (.970s + in 1000').  I'm looking to build a couple of quicker cars though (.750s or quicker in 1000').
My 1st questions is I have seen JDS and WRP tires talked about online and some people say they are better than the Pro Tracks.  I'm sure there are a lot of opions and I'm not looking to start a huge debate, but is there any truth to this for faster cars?
2nd questions is about the tires called fish rubber.  What are they and how do they grip differently than the other tire compounds?
I'm ultamitly looking to get a .300 tire to hook with minimal glue with a big block, 490 Boss or maybe a Raptor motor into the mid 7s. (The track is actually spray glued with no aditional glue or wiping allowed for this peticular class)
I'm pretty new to everything and figured I would start from the gound up.
Thanks,
Jamie

1/23/2015 6:20 am  #2

Re: Tire questions

Don't know about fis rubber but I am running a 69 Camaro hard body with a boss motor, 11/62 gears, and JDS 1.030 x .285 tires, no glue and only roll out to the tree. I am switching all my cars to JDS when they need new tires and all my new builds get JDS.

1/24/2015 6:11 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply.  I think I'm going to try a pair of JDS tires and do a compairison just to see.

1/25/2015 9:17 am  #4

Fish rubber ie. Barracuda, Tuna, Pirrhanna, is a different type of rubber that has a much higher coefficient of friction and has more grip than the same size tire with SBR rubber. If you just swap tires of the same size, the Tuna tires will take less glue, and hook better where there is no glue at all.
Chassis and Tire work together. You may be able to narrow the tires some and still hook up well, but it depends alot on yourchassis as well. The stiffer a car is, the more tire it will take to hook up, especially with a motor that makes alot of power. A 16D can easily run .280 wide tires with no glue in the stiffest chassis you can get because it doesn't make much power. Don't try that with a Grp20 motor though. Just simply putting .300 wides on a car MIGHT make it go faster. Just depends on the chassis and power.

They come in a wide variety of widths, so you should be able to find something that will work.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

7/09/2015 7:48 am  #5

fish , barracuda, tuna, pirrhanna rubber? are these just product names given to different manufacturers products? what is the best durameter numbers for high end drag cars? are these the same as what is called natural rubber? has anyone ever tried gum rubber tires?

Board footera