All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2014 7:47 am  #1

Gear recommendation please

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to 1/24th drag racing. I'm 3/4 of the way through my first complete build and have no idea what gears to use to get me in the ballpark. The tires are 1 3/16 x.500s and the motor is a Fast ones Demon. I'm not sure what the total car weight is going to be yet but probably in the 125 gram range. I was thinking a 4:1 overall ratio, with either 12/56 or 12/58 gearing. I can't find any drag racing gear recommendations for this motor to steer me in the right direction. I've been lurking here for a few months and decided to jump in head first. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

8/03/2014 11:58 am  #2

Re: Gear recommendation please

Dyno try 10/56 or 10/58

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

8/03/2014 4:07 pm  #3

Thank you, I picked up a 10/56 at the track today. I should have the car running hopefully by the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Any idea what the car should approx ET so I can get a ballpark idea if its running to its potential?  It's ful quarter track at 16.3 volts.

I also have a 125 gram hardbody with a speedfx motor geared 14/52 with 1 1/16 tires. It's running 11.3-6. I think it should go a little faster. It has the timing turned up to the highest setting by turning the end bell, champ light springs and new brushes.
Trap speed is about 44mph, short time low .150s and 660 is low .7s. I think it may need a bigger crown but not sure?

8/04/2014 4:10 pm  #4

Reset the timing to neutral.  Try a 13/54 or 56 to start.  You're asking alot from the SpeedFX getting those .500 wides rolling.  If you can narrow them up to .430 ish wide or so, that would be a good start.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

8/04/2014 5:22 pm  #5

Thank you. My Speed Fx car has .430 wide tires on it already. The new car with the Demon has .500s on it. I will try the timing in the neutral position and see how it goes. I will also try gearing it closer to 4:1 and see how it goes.

8/06/2014 2:05 pm  #6

Is it possible to use loctite to hold a pinion on instead of solder? On a Fast ones Demon? I hear you aren't supposed to let those motors get too hot because the neo magnets will weaken.

8/06/2014 3:48 pm  #7

Dyno wrote:

Is it possible to use loctite to hold a pinion on instead of solder? On a Fast ones Demon? I hear you aren't supposed to let those motors get too hot because the neo magnets will weaken.

It is possible. Use the Green Loctite that is made for Slip Fits. I can't remember the number on it, but there are 3 different Green loctite versions. One is for press fits, one for slip fits, and another that is a wicking grade for fasteners that are already assembled, and it's about the same strength as Blue. I have used the Green Loctite to assemble parts before and it holds very well.

Most people use the screw-in motor mounts with Neo's so that you don't apply heat to the can and kill the backside magnet as soldering would do.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

8/06/2014 5:39 pm  #8

Thank you. I was wondering if it would work. I will see if I can get some tomorrow.

8/06/2014 5:46 pm  #9

Looks like it's number 620. Pretty expensive too, like 30 bucks!

8/16/2014 2:01 pm  #10

I tried my new build  with the Fast Ones Demon today with the 10/56 gearing recommendation. It was pitiful. Car was running only 30 mph. I dropped to a 50 crown and eventually got the car to run mid 12s at 37 mph. My friends car has the same motor but is geared drastically different and is 25 grams lighter was running high 10s and bottom 11s at 47.5 mph.  I'm going to run a 13/50 to make it 3.25 :1 including the tire height. As it sits now the car is good to the 1/8th and then it just lays over.

8/20/2014 6:41 pm  #11

I believe I have read somewhere that Fast Ones Demon likes 3.49-3.70 gear ratios.

It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance.

8/21/2014 6:56 pm  #12

Do you know if that was crown divided by pinion divided by tire height or just crown divided by pinion?

9/06/2014 9:08 pm  #13

I tried the Super Bee with the demon motor today geared 13/50, it ran much better. It ran an average of 11.5-7s all day with zero glue at 44 mph. That's a 3.25:1 ratio accounting for tire height. Now it's a little slow in the 60 (.17s) so I'm gonna try a few teeth up on the crown. That 3.48 ratio may be perfect. Probably can get 11.2-3 out of it which will exceed my expectation for my first build. Especially with the FK sized motor. Car is super smooth.

Board footera