All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2014 5:29 pm  #1

Ghetto 1/8th mile portable track build

So i sort of explained in the other thread I started but basically the slotcar bug has bitten again after about 15 years. With no local tracks (except for ones with corners) and new, much larger workshop on my hands I did some measurising and worked out I could squeeze a scale 1/8th inside, or open the door and add an extra section of runoff if need be.

Basically it's built in roughly 8ft sections (2400mm) with seperate legs so I can pack it away when I'm not using it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf33072eb.jpg

Leg things

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf92eeee4.jpg

A few sections coming together. The grey box at the bottom of the pic has controller outlets and will store batteries and other technology. It's a leftover from a track we bough years ago and never setup. Timing system ran off a Commodore 64 lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps73aefdbd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsd0520ebe.jpg

So far so good. Even seems to work ok as a bar. Any advice or questions welcome. Many thanks to Marty, who I've been pestering for the last week or so with all the questions I can think of :D

5/25/2014 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Ghetto 1/8th mile portable track build

Mr Jones. Looks good so far, keep us posted on your build.

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

5/25/2014 5:44 pm  #3

The other point of it being sectional is that if I find somewhere I can setup a full 1/4 mile I only need to add a few sections inbetween the start and finish line sensors.

Timing for now will be the slotdragon system. Comes with a tree and does E/T R/T, red light and win light. No speed is the only thing I don't like, but for under $200 and no computer required it'll get us started

6/28/2014 6:49 pm  #4

Little bit of progress

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsb70d7844.jpg

Got ahold of a router and some bits and cut the guide slot and braid recess. Had a couple minor oopsies but none in the 660' and all fixed with a little filler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsd256f0e0.jpg

Starting to look like a race track! Or maybe more like a back street in an industry park lol. The 55 on the left is dads, probably one of the first cars he scratch built. The stude is one of the last cars I built last time around. Both have brass chassis and what look like group 20 motors. Will be interesting to see if they still run.

My braid showed up last week. Thought of do the right thing and support my local roundy round track and sadly it bit me. Their supplier decided what I would really like is to wait 2 weeks for something they had 'in stock' and that I would prefer magna braid to normal copper. Not 100% what to do at this point but I own it now so I'll probably just use it. The sad part is I could have had it cheaper and sooner from the other side of the world.

So I guess it's time to paint! Bought some floor paint yesterday in a charcoal colour. The plan is to spray it but the weather is not co operating as its winter on my side of the world. Although there's probably enough mdf dust on everything inside to form a protective layer if I wanted to paint in the shop…

6/28/2014 7:01 pm  #5

Mr Jones looking good, are you going to clear coat over the paint?
Reason I'm asking is that if you use glue then you might want to clear coated, or the paint will come of it.
Keep up the good work, migth inspire others to built one...

DVan

6/28/2014 8:22 pm  #6

It's floor enamel so it should be fairly strong. It's the same stuff I painted my workshop floor with and I've burnout tested that successfully :D

The old DRS track building guide says to use floor enamel with no primer and let the first coat soak in, then two more coats. So I'll see how it goes.

I think I'll spray it but considering just using a roller for easyness.

6/28/2014 8:40 pm  #7

Mr Jones, Sounds like you did your research, a roller though will leave like a orange skin surface instead of smootheness, no? I used to be a house painter for years, did most of my work with
a brush or spraying, Maybe a good  short nap roller, or even a sponge roller might do the trick.

DVan

6/28/2014 9:33 pm  #8

Being enamel it seems to lay pretty flat by the time it dries. I was thinning it too when doing my floors so it would soak into the concrete.

Like anything you get on the internet and there's 20 different ways to do it. Some say the slight rippled surface is better and takes less glue. DRS recommend sanding the first part of the track to give a semi gloss finish for the same reason. It would be interesting to hear what everyone's local track surface is like.

I think my biggest issue is going to be keeping the sections smooth at the joins. Any bumps are going to unload any grip a car has

6/29/2014 10:06 am  #9

It's a lot of work, but it looks very good so far! I would follow Bob's recommendations on the track surface. Especially since you already have the correct paint to do it. It has a naturally tacky surface even when dry. Formica is just slick. Sanding it will keep the glue from squirming around and provide better traction.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

8/01/2014 9:41 pm  #10

Little bit of progress. Been waiting weeks for a nice sunny day to paint on the weekend. Had to work this morning but a cheap spray gun was purchased enroute to the shop and I managed to get a few coats down on a some track sections. Hopefully do the rest tomorrow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1_zps7e80bf7c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/mattarlenjones/Mobile%20Uploads/photo2_zps5dcd285b.jpg

8/27/2014 1:36 pm  #11

Mr Jones, do you need a Track System?
If you do, I just saw this for sale...
*****Timing system and all the wire. Comes with a full size tree. Self contained no need for a PC.
I dont have a Beta bright display sign for it , but they can still be bought. I will ship anywhere in the US for $500.00
Call 717-503-9659*****
You might have to pay more for shipping though..

DVan
Thank you

8/31/2014 2:27 pm  #12

Ooh… I do have a basic timing system but it will only do reaction time, red light, et and win light. No incrementals and no mph.

Could you please find out some more details for me? What system etc? Calling the other side of the world is a hassle with the time difference and pesky stuff like work. I've got a fedex guy in Rancho Cordova so shipping isn't a big issue. I just get stuff sent to him and he sends it to me.

8/31/2014 2:34 pm  #13

In other news I think my paint is nearly done. I've got a few layers on so once it cures I'll hit it with the orbital sander and see how flat I can get it. Came out pretty average off the gun.

Had a go at slapping a chassis together last night so that's helping with motivation to finish the track lol. Real life things like work and fast cars I can actually sit in keep stealing all my time and energy. And money!!

8/31/2014 4:11 pm  #14

Mr Jones, it's a Trik Trak system. I've contacted the owner to see if it's still available,
As soon as I hear back or you might hear from him on here, his handle is Bags. I believe he's
in Pennsylvania.

DVan

8/31/2014 5:19 pm  #15

Sweet thanks man. What's the lowdown on the triktrax?

8/31/2014 5:50 pm  #16

Mr Jones most tracks use that system, I do have some instructions on it, I will try to get you that info in the next few days. Other than that if the owner still has it like I said will contact you. Or he will contact me.

http://bracket500.com/mb/trixtrax.jpg

Front
http://bracket500.com/mb/trixDragTraxBack.jpg

Back side

DVan

8/31/2014 6:24 pm  #17

Awesome the wires screw in. This is definitely at my level of technology

1/21/2015 9:21 am  #18

I'm looking at building a very similar track.  Only mine will be more "street outlaw" style.  I'm thinking of foul lights, win lights, and a real easy "go" light.  This will also be a mobil track.  My cousin an I plan on going to the local racetracks, and set up, along with a few larger cruise ins.  Since all the tracks by us are over an hour away, we hope to open up shop within the next year or two.  So starting with this build we hope to build a good competition base.  I have a few questions, what do you use for powering the cars on the track?  I've seen some people use the copper stained glass wire, also what are you using for a power supply?

10/05/2015 4:08 pm  #19

@crazycowboyz did you build your track? I want to do the same here locally also. A portable track that's easy to set up and break down.

10/05/2015 4:11 pm  #20

Mr jones do you have pics of the finished track? Thank You

Board footera