All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2014 7:50 am  #1

push button controller

I am new to drag racing so if this is a stupid question I apologize. I hear talk of people making push button controllers "back in the day".  How do you do that. It's it just an automotive push button starter switch with two wires on it?  I have a few starter buttons and wire in my garage so my investment is zero dollars, why not try it. I Just don't want to burn anything up or bring something that is frowned upon. What are the pros and cons to this type of controller. I am finding very little information about this on the net other than it is instant power for hard launches and makes bracket racing difficult. Thanks.

3/29/2014 11:14 pm  #2

Re: push button controller

Not a stupid question at all.  A button will be a glorified dead-short.  You can use a screwdriver or a length of wire between the posts of the driver panel/track to the same effect...  Generally, your car will take more starting line glue, and be harder on tires and gears.

A basic Parma Turbo syle controller will suit your needs just fine, and would probably be more consistent...with less parts breakage.  There are quite a few very low budget hop-ups (nearly free) that you can make to this controller to make it damn near bulletproof...not to mention "drop proof" if you have "butterfingers" like I do.  I would actually like to do a write-up on this if someone has a spare Parma Turbo in a bad state.  Ohmage doesn't matter.

Version 2.0 of the Parma controller would use a "track powered" relay without an external 9v battery required.

Same goes for a basic Koford Drag controller.  The Koford has much more built in "tuneability" but that is another post.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Board footera