All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2014 3:34 pm  #1

Oilites or bearing

I'm building my first chassis. It's a d&l inline chassis. Is a Oilites and a bearing use in the same place? If so which one is best to use. Also what is a good brand oilites or bearing to buy. Thanks for your help.

2/01/2014 6:04 pm  #2

Re: Oilites or bearing

I have no knowledge of the best brand names of oilites or ball bearings , but if you have the money go with ball bearings ,the less friction ,the less power is robbed from the motor .bushings are very hard to get adjusted with out binding the axle an running any where as free as  a  set of ball bearings. 

7/26/2014 12:29 pm  #3

When using oilites, keep in mind that they are supposed to be "loaded" with oil. Almost all of the oilites I have seen with the exception of Mura are completely dry. You will need to soak them in oil at 200 degrees for 2 hours so that the bushing expands and the oil is thin enough to penetrate. Then wipe them off and install them with solder. Some of the oil will come out, but most of it will stay in the bushing. Then just oil as necessary to keep them going.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

7/27/2014 12:04 pm  #4

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Ben_Kernan/727DampLrebuild.jpg

Speaking of D&L chassis, this is one I got off eBay a couple of weeks ago... It was a bent peice of crap... So I rebuilt it. First off it was too heavy, the wheelie bar assembly was way massive; so I put it on a rototool diet. Then I removed the main rails, re-soldered them, along with most everything on the chassis tesults above. I have not put this under a car yet, so it is untested; but it is lighter, & the balance point as it sits is right about where the pinion meets the crown gear... probably not a bad thing.
The metal used for this product seemed rather soft. so be warned that this is possibly not the best chassis in the world... No one at the main dragstrip I go to had anything positive to say about the D&L product either. Hopefully under new management the product will improve.

Formerly of SARN

7/28/2014 2:08 pm  #5

You certainly helped it by cutting some weight out of those wheelie bars. There's no reason for them to be that strong, and heavy.

You could also cut some weight and gain some tuneability in the front by cutting those "pans" off by the motor, and extending your main rails back alongside the motor box, then cutting the small section up front by the front wheel mounts away, and extending the main rail up the side behind the front body mounts. Those changes will make the main rails much longer, and give you better control over the amount of flex you want.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

Board footera