All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2012 2:03 pm  #1

aa/fc tires

what are you guys using. Would prefer a part number stocked tire, and not custom but...if any one has some tires they would sell?
besides that what really is "yellow dot rubber" and does any one know where i can buy raw rubber?

12/08/2012 3:41 pm  #2

Re: aa/fc tires

Check the JDS 7017 8 hole rear tires.
10.30 X 285 3/32 axle 

link: http://bracket500.com/jds/tw.html

Use the part number to order from your local track.

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

12/08/2012 4:36 pm  #3

isn't .285 too small for aa/fc, i know jds makes that same tire in a .435 wide but isn't it still natural rubber? i am talking about a aa/fc using a open  64 .459 arm motor.

12/08/2012 4:37 pm  #4

besides looking for tires if anyone has knowlegde on what the difference in rubber is and why it works better i'd like to hear it as this has been a topic that has confused me for awhile. thanks

12/08/2012 7:07 pm  #5

is protrack 277 pencil hub tire natural rubber or yellow dot?
i think they are natural but not sure...i see on one site it says they are SBR rubber but what is that?

Last edited by joe (12/08/2012 7:11 pm)

12/08/2012 9:37 pm  #6

Joe,

Natural rubber goes by a bunch of different names like Tuna, or Pirhanna. SBR is a a blend of natural and synthetic components. You won't want any tires smaller than .400 wide for a AA/FC, and depending on the motor you may need even more than that.

Tuna tires don't work on a AA/FC because they are too soft. The preferred range of hardness for SBR tires on AA is 22-25. Once they get down to 18, they start running slower. It only takes a few good runs to get there too. Don't even think about it if the car spins on the run. That's a tough pill to swallow when they cost 20 bucks a set.

Yellow Dot is an SBR rubber that was made by Rubatex, no longer in business.  Some have a stash hoarded, but who knows how long it will last.

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

12/08/2012 9:43 pm  #7

thanks for the info! so after good runs the tire softens, if i'm understanding?  are these tire ok to use...says they are sbr rubber on one site and natural on another.http://www.ncphobbies.com/images/products/pron277.jpg

12/08/2012 9:50 pm  #8

If they are SBR, then they would be worth a try.

Yes, you understand correctly. If they work ok, and after 3 or 4 runs the car slows down, put another set on to see if it comes back. Most of the time, enough glue is down to prevent any serious spinning, but if it does spin, it breaks down the rubber much faster and softens the tire, making it junk. I learned this by trial and error. 

One tip: If your car slingshots through the shotdown area, it's spinning on the top end. AA/FC's are light enopugh that they should stop reasonably well, but if it's spinning it's brains out at the finish line, the glue in the shutdown grips the tire and sends it into the sheets. 

Knowledge does not equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth, no matter what you think of it...........

12/08/2012 9:56 pm  #9

i might order a set and see.  btw why is it that soft rubber doesn't work, does it grow/distort too much? thanks for the info...i'm in the process of building several cars and i'm in new territory with all this and want to somewhat know whats going on before i just break everything. lol

12/08/2012 10:07 pm  #10

Tuna tires are much softer than SBR, and SBR has its lower limit,  so that pretty much rules them out. I think they distort too much at speed. The edges grow more than the rest, so it doesnt maintain a flat surface on the track which reduces traction.

Last edited by Steve B (12/08/2012 10:08 pm)

1/21/2013 2:02 pm  #11

Trying to find good neo tire's..any manufactures make good ones?  or do we have to find someone that is making something out of his garage? lol....

1/21/2013 2:06 pm  #12

JDS makes some, here's the part #

JDS7000 - Hardcore front wheels (In stock)
  JDS7010 - Hardcore Rear Tires 1-3/16x.500
Retail Price $20.99
New Designed Hardcore Rear Tires with new Rubber Compound 

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

3/16/2013 1:34 am  #13

joe wrote:

thanks for the info! so after good runs the tire softens, if i'm understanding? are these tire ok to use...says they are sbr rubber on one site and natural on another.http://www.ncphobbies.com/images/products/pron277.jpg

These are good tires but on one of  my AA/FC mine only lasted 3 runs @.57x
when i get back to WA i am going to experiment with some .9x.550 tires cut from from donuts

Just enjoying Life and Slots

3/19/2013 7:23 pm  #14

I used a set of Dave donnly pencil hub tires on my worn out open motor funny car and went .480.  Once I did that I sold the car.  I used his tires with my VX motor and they hook GREAT!  Sorry for using this guys name lol!  I know this post wont last long!

5/22/2013 2:52 am  #15

Someone braver than I can check this out. Spammer Alert!

Board footera