All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2012 9:33 am  #1

Does anyone use 16V Deep Cell batteries to power their drag track?

I have been using the Rivergate Bulldog 16.3 volt P/S with 1.6f caps. 

Looks like the 16V deep cell Battery rated at 16.8 volts total would be a better power supply for drag racing as long as you don't mind the maint. on the batteries?  Power is cleaner and some 600 to 700 cold crank amps want hurt either.

Any thoughts? 

I was thanking one of these batteries wired to two 1.6f caps, one in each lane?  I would need a good power supply to work with this setup, but would the power be cleaner and better than what most people are doing?

Slotcarjames
Model Car Race Center
Eden, NC
Semi-Pro since 1967

12/05/2012 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Does anyone use 16V Deep Cell batteries to power their drag track?

We used to run those batteries.  Only issue with batteries is they want to cycle.  So cars will speed up and slow down through the different cycles of the batteries.  The caps might help but not 100%.

12/06/2012 3:20 am  #3

Re: Does anyone use 16V Deep Cell batteries to power their drag track?

Stretch, you have my interest about cycle.  Does this happen because of the auto type battery chargers that kick off and on, are you talking about something else?

On my King Track I have two 8D batteries with two 90 amp river gates and one 1.5f cap. The batteries are at 12.6V and the rivergate which isn't a off and on auto charger keeps everything at around 13.4 or so.

Haven't noticed any cycling or up and down problems, but then again, round track isn't bracket drag racing.

I noticed that DRS article is in favor of both lanes being on one power source and not two?
I don't agree with them on using just a 12V battery system. Track next to me would be allot faster with the 16.3 system which would be bad for business.

So I was just thinking about how good it would work if I could hook in a AC/DC 0-30V power supply and adjust it to let's say 17.2 or so just to keep the batteries up at all times, if this would work better than two 16.3V Rivergate 90amps which I have now?

I have a rivergate on my track to go down for the count most likely due to heavy main board damage, and was just thinking about trying something new.

Any further thoughts would be great to include being able to talk to someone that is using a battery system now?

Slotcarjames
Model Car Race Center
Eden, NC
Semi-Pro since 1967

Board footera