All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2012 7:28 am  #1

Pining a body, tips, tricks, tools....?

What do you guys use to pin your body (drill the hole), and any tricks, or hints you can offer to make the job easier.  Also where to get any specific tools you use.

New doesn't always mean good.

1/24/2012 7:49 am  #2

Re: Pining a body, tips, tricks, tools....?

I found at Walmarts a dremal drill set which has a bit just the right size for pins , I put it into a light weight Fizcars plastic hand drill she got at Michales craft shop and use it to drill thru the plastic ..most of the guy's I talk to get a pin vice set from hobby shops that carry model train supplies or from Harbor Freight ,might also try your local track ,but most do not have them but may have the dremal drill bits and a hand drill..I usually end up with 3 or 4 holes drilled in one area before I get a body where I want it ,I tell them it makes the car lighter.

Last edited by davidRevans (1/24/2012 7:52 am)

1/24/2012 8:54 pm  #3

LOL, i like to drill one hole and one hole only.  Any tips from anyone on how to lign it up right? 

David, what size drill bit is the pin hole drill?

Thanks to all in advance!

1/24/2012 9:54 pm  #4

drill bit size is 1/32 ,guess one could measure, some how, but I don't have any cars that look that good to worry about it

1/25/2012 12:49 am  #5

I'm a meat cutter (butcher) when it comes to pinning bodies.  I set the assembled chassis on the board, RTR, Less braid and wheelie bar.  I lock the chassis down on the board with tape.  Lay tape across the pin tubes.  Mark the center of the pin tube on tape, (both sides), and connect the dots with a straight edge.  With a machinist's rule, measure how far up the pin tubes are.  Transfer this measurement to the body.  Set body over chassis.  Transfer vertical measurement from tape to body until it meets up with the horizontal measurement.  Heat up a "spare" straight pin with a butane lighter.  Push through body with hot pin.  Carefully scrape off excess material displaced with hot pin.  Install pins.  Install braid, set braid and wheelie bar.  This "Captian Caveman" approach has not failed me yet.  Hopefully, it works for you too.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

1/25/2012 7:39 am  #6

Thanks for the feed back fellas!

11/08/2012 3:39 pm  #7

i use a pin heated with a bic lighter

6/07/2016 9:38 pm  #8

FWIW, go see your dentist!  Really!  Most dentists use drill bits that are discardable so they don't have to worry about sharpness and sterility.  Get a selection of them (the dentist usually has no problems in getting them for you -- at least that's been my experience).  You just place the bit into a dremel tool and you are on your way.  Pretty much, they are aggressive and EXACTING bits, so you MUST keep that in mind.  You can find 'plunge' bits (which is how (usually) a dentist goes about opening up a tooth in the first place) or surface grind bits.

Board footera