All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2011 10:59 am  #1

Stand alone drag raceway

i know of a few, i would say you just need a large crowd, open a few nights a week with a lower entry and then have a $5 entry on the biggest crowd night, maybe even charge a $5 fee a week...

2/15/2011 11:53 am  #2

Re: Stand alone drag raceway

the last thing i want to hear while racing is cars going around and around and around and crashing, that gets annoying quick... kids can drag race too.

2/15/2011 12:18 pm  #3

Waterford Dragway in Michigan is a Drag strip only raceway,so far so good at staying open , it has a good group of guys racing there ,it's just too early to tell how succesfull it will be ,but the owner and home racers are doing their best and making changes to keep it going

2/15/2011 1:06 pm  #4

davidRevans wrote:

Waterford Dragway in Michigan is a Drag strip only raceway,so far so good at staying open , it has a good group of guys racing there ,it's just too early to tell how succesfull it will be ,but the owner and home racers are doing their best and making changes to keep it going

Does he have a good inventory?  I haven't been able to make it there yet.  I've been at Slot Car Mania for their friday brackets.  I'm just starting out.

Last edited by billydroveit (2/15/2011 1:07 pm)

New doesn't always mean good.

2/16/2011 7:50 am  #5

billydroveit, last I was there the inventory was slim but carries enough of the right things to keep a car going or build a chassis,and will get what you need on his next order. Bill Baughn ,I like your ideal,there are a lot of racers that have a good knowledge of what there cars run and could use a practice track to work on the lights and 60Ft with out tying up the full  track

2/16/2011 2:35 pm  #6

I live in a town of 100,000 people.  We have no big towns within 110 miles, it is hard to make a slot car track go.  I am not the best business man either, lol, but I learn more each time I own one.
Oklahoma city has a couple of million folks in there 50 mile radius I would guess.  They also have a rough go of it in this economy, they have both road and drag race tracks.

I have had 3 out of 5 raceways with Drag Strip only and they can work, if your customer base is big enough.

First thing is the smaller Square footage required and less fixtures in the store.  This makes utilities cheaper and rent lower.  About 30 to 40 % less inventory also.

My goal and I believe the way to make a Dragstrip go is to:
Purchase an older cheaper cigar shaped building at least 100 ft long and 20 - 25 feet wide, 2000 to 2500 sq ft.
OR buy a cheap lot or acre of land and build a metal building 100 x 24 minimum here in Texas land and metal buildings are cheap.

My goal is to have a 100 -120 ft long x 40 ft wide with my living qtr.s, Storage, garage in 30 x 60 area of the space. 
Leaving 30 x 40 for pits and parts and the track in the 100 x 10 left over.  With 2 hvac units, one for the track and one for my qtrs.

Right now in Texas this can be done for $125,000 +/- $10,000, which means it would be payments of Approx. $750 to $1000 per month.  It would be yours to own and would not be much more money than a nice house is.  Combined utilities is also a nice thing.

Even in Texas you can't rent a good building for less money than that!

Timmy!

Last edited by TIMMY! (2/16/2011 7:31 pm)

"It ain't about Class, It's about FASSST!!!

1/20/2014 1:17 pm  #7

Timmy, I like that idea!!!

Formerly of SARN

1/24/2014 12:26 pm  #8

Ok guys, There are numerous reasons tracks dont or its hard for them to stay open. 1 You start a track because you like to race be roundy or drag, the fun factor goes out because you have to WORK at it to keep it open,,you spend so much time trying to keep it open that you cant race because someone will have to run it! (YOU)...2 You have a small clientel to work with,3 Your limited to when you may be open 4 Now you get parts at cost can spend private time to work on your stuff so now ( most say you have an unfair advantage) which is partially true. 5 It just aint payin for itself...I had a raceway back in the early 90's...some months it would pay for itself ...I couldnt race because I had to run it,too small of town,economy so forth,,,the cost of cars and parts are pretty expensive to expect KIDS to attend much, and video games have all but destroyed the hands on aspect of these type of toys...lmao did I say TOYS....More adults race than kids,,,and its always been that way ....grown men like things fast or cool,,,well and pretty...but thats another story!

Board footera