All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2011 3:43 pm  #1

For a beginner is it worth.....

Does a beginner need to spend over $200 in a controller to drag race?
Or will a simple controller work?

Suggest what you be a good starting controller..

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

2/13/2011 3:57 pm  #2

Re: For a beginner is it worth.....

Thanks for posting that Dvan
it was going to be a next question
I do race brackets but want to do heads up and quick 8
Royz

Just enjoying Life and Slots

2/14/2011 7:00 am  #3

Parma Turbo 1ohm....... best "BANG" for your buck. You will roughly spend around $50.... way better then $200-$300, lol!

You need an expensive, crazy controller when you start wanting to run strap motors, neo's, and crazy stuff like that. But.... I don't think a beginner will need all this right off the start.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll258/scoobedog/batmobile/a0e367c03f5c027b7fb69e750f53975130b0a7aa_t.gif

2/14/2011 9:30 am  #4

Go with the Turbo,spent a little extra and get a wet wound resistor,they will last a long time,can add a relay switch if you want later,or use it as a back-up when you get one of them fancy, all electrionic controllers

2/18/2011 9:46 pm  #5

depends on how serious you are about the hobby..... if you know your hooked then pay once and get a good controller with all the bells and whistles

There are no ties in drag racing. Thank god!!!

2/20/2011 9:10 pm  #6

With a Koford resistor and a Koford budget controller you can build a good external resistor controller for under $100 and add a blast relay for under $125 for the whole deal.

M570 KOF CONTROLLER W/ BLAST $80
KOFORD M272-1OHM EXTERNAL RESISTOR $28
TQ LEAD WIRE FOR THE EXT. RES. X 2 = $13

$121 AND ABOUT 2 HOURS LABOR
This controller is good for ANY! car you can own and tunable as well!
Timmy

Last edited by TIMMY! (2/20/2011 9:11 pm)

"It ain't about Class, It's about FASSST!!!

2/21/2011 8:43 am  #7

davidRevans wrote:

Go with the Turbo,spent a little extra and get a wet wound resistor,they will last a long time,can add a relay switch if you want later,or use it as a back-up when you get one of them fancy, all electrionic controllers

This is exactly what i did...and i love it and will most likely never replace it.  I'm just a bracket racer.

New doesn't always mean good.

3/02/2011 4:21 am  #8

So I have been thinking about buying a new parma turbo controller
and see that maybe its not upto being used with faster motors
is this because it has a lack of additional controls that a dedicated $$$$$$$ Drag controller has
Thanks
Royz

3/02/2011 7:02 pm  #9

novaz wrote:

So I have been thinking about buying a new parma turbo controller
and see that maybe its not upto being used with faster motors
is this because it has a lack of additional controls that a dedicated $$$$$$$ Drag controller has
Thanks
Royz

If you want something with a resister instead of just a push button to peddle, or a little softer leave, do what i did.  Took a parma added a 1 ohm wet wound that i got off ebay for ceap.  Went to radio shack and got a 9 volt battery adapter, a small micro switch, and a relay.  Mount the micro in the where you see appropriate, mine is at teh base of the handle activated by the trigger back and hard stops on the stop in the body.  Only down side is you can accident;y trigger it if you're not careful.  With this set up you can have a controller that will handle anything you throw at it.  You'll be in the resistor so short that it won't even see the heat.  Really with just the wet wound you can run prety much any motor combo you want.  In drag racing you aren't in and out of the resistor long enough to really get it hot.

I think i spent like 16 bucks on the relay set up.  I can post up pics if you want to see how i mounted it.

3/02/2011 7:05 pm  #10

Hi Billy
That sounds like a plan I am going to look /try a controller tomorrow night pix would be great
Thanks
Roy

3/04/2011 11:27 pm  #11

novaz wrote:

Hi Billy
That sounds like a plan I am going to look /try a controller tomorrow night pix would be great
Thanks
Roy

I'll see what i can do for pics the next couple days.  Mine may be for sale as i just baught a new one!  1 ohm wet wound, with relay on a micr switch...i'll get pics on my set up for ya tho.

3/04/2011 11:30 pm  #12

TIMMY! wrote:

With a Koford resistor and a Koford budget controller you can build a good external resistor controller for under $100 and add a blast relay for under $125 for the whole deal.

M570 KOF CONTROLLER W/ BLAST $80
KOFORD M272-1OHM EXTERNAL RESISTOR $28
TQ LEAD WIRE FOR THE EXT. RES. X 2 = $13

$121 AND ABOUT 2 HOURS LABOR
This controller is good for ANY! car you can own and tunable as well!
Timmy

Timmy, can you tell me what the extraas are for on the M 570 (external resister and lead wire?)  I thought these had externbal resistors, the yellow wires running down the dontroller wires?  What are your extras for and what beinifit is there.  I just picked one of these up.

3/05/2011 12:27 pm  #13

Billy you are correct, you already have an external resistor controller with the M570.  The yellow wire is what you want to replace with the TQ wire and external resistor.  It is a little different wiring diagram than the original wire.  The reason you replace this is, the yellow wire will not handle as much as an exrenal resistor.  If you do not track your car out under power or run anything over a grp 27, you may never need to replace the yellow wire.  If you start burning the wire, then you may need to change to the external.

Timmy

Last edited by TIMMY! (3/05/2011 12:28 pm)

3/05/2011 4:35 pm  #14

WHen you say "track your car under power" are you talking about glue roll out?  If so i do that by hand, so when i start going round robin it's a habbit to help delay the heat soak.  started making that an absolute habbbit today in practice and my two worts cars started ruunning very close in 4 to 5 back to back runs.  Before when i would forget or get in a hurry and do a powered roll out i would start a very inconsistant series of passes.  This is the first time since i started racing(only the last few months by the way) that i had a chance to just go to teh track and do some test passes.  I really love this new controller and probly won't use much more than a 12 or 20 motor.  But if i do run a 27 or come crazy combos this controller should be able to handle it easily as long as i don't track under power? 

Sorry for the long winded post, i want to know and ask as much as possible so i know more going forward.  Forums like these are priceless when you have such a great bunch of knowledgeable racers willing to share the information.

3/05/2011 10:18 pm  #15

LOL, I guess my age is showing, Glue roll out is correct.  We used to call it tracking out the glue in the Olden days of the early 90's.  When computers had 16 mb of ram and a 6 gig HD, lol. 
If you got the controller with the blast relay, it will handle almost anything. 

Bill in the early 90's tracks had relays to kill the power if the track owner wanted to.
Then we realized it was another weak link in current draw.  My old blue king relays would get very hot when the open cars ran.

Timmy

3/06/2011 6:03 am  #16

Thanks for clearing that up timmy...my fist computer had 32MB of ram and a 4 gig hard drive!

3/10/2011 9:48 pm  #17

novaz wrote:

Hi Billy
Thanks
Roy

Well it's been a long time overdue and i'm sorry for the delay.  But here are the pics of the controller.  Something else you want to see let me know.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/billydroveit/Mobile%20Uploads/0310012227.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/billydroveit/Mobile%20Uploads/0310012232.jpg

3/10/2011 10:48 pm  #18

Thanks Billy
I going to decide this coming week what to do appreciate the pictures
Royz

3/10/2011 11:15 pm  #19

I will tell you if you don't already have a turbo frame to start with and are considering buying a turbo and adding all the gadgets...DON'T  Just get the M570 from Koford.  Much smoother, lighter, and nice controller.  And can be had for 80 to 90 anytime!  By the time you buy a turbo for 56 or so, the wet wound for 18 or more, and the relay set up for 14 and TQ wire, and the time invested...the M570 is a better deal.  Only reason i did mine was i had the controller, and got the wet wound for almost nothing.  Found a smoking deal on the koford, and will never build another one again.  Not worth it for the 80 the M570 can be had for.

3/10/2011 11:16 pm  #20

Or mine is on e bay 150575558041

5/19/2011 3:31 pm  #21

WELCOME TO 500!
A blast relay is at the bottom of the connection wires, it activates at full throttle and redirects the current through 1 foot of wire instead of running all the way through the controller and back,  basically like a dead short on demand.

The koford controllers are a good deal with these and capable of handling a bunch of power.  I believe Billydroveit has one and he can supply feedback for you.

Timmy

Last edited by TIMMY! (5/19/2011 3:32 pm)

5/20/2011 9:33 am  #22

TIMMY! wrote:

WELCOME TO 500!
A blast relay is at the bottom of the connection wires, it activates at full throttle and redirects the current through 1 foot of wire instead of running all the way through the controller and back,  basically like a dead short on demand.

The koford controllers are a good deal with these and capable of handling a bunch of power.  I believe Billydroveit has one and he can supply feedback for you.

Timmy

Correct sir i do!  ANd i can say it was WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY.  I first built my own, as i'm sure you read in this thread. I'm a Do It Yourselfer for the most part with this stuff as well as my real race car.  So building one was my only option to begin with.  Well after owning this one for a few months, i can honestly say it was worth buying it.  My cars are all more consistant than with the previous controller.  It's lighter, and smoother to operate.  My old one was also causing issues with the track timing system sometimes.   And best of all, every car picked up a little, some more than others.  So if you're looking into getting back into it.  I highly recommend the Koford Drag controller with relay.  I have seeen them at all my local tracks for 89.95.  Which is what you would have in parts if you were to buy a parma body and a wet wound resister and relay, not to mention the labor.  SPend the money once the right way.

Welcome to the board, and slot drags!

Last edited by billydroveit (5/20/2011 9:34 am)

12/31/2011 12:40 pm  #23

I'm having a hard time locating a m570 controller if anyone has one or could telle where to look to get one I would appreciate it thank you.

12/31/2011 4:50 pm  #24

i have private messaged you.

1/02/2012 1:20 pm  #25

the 1st night i ran a slot car i started with a turbo then used a stealth controller picked up a new stealth at the end of the night it let me run my car faster with less glue

Board footera