All Car Galleries
Slip Joint 101
Front Page
Links
Tracks
Contact Bracket500
Bracket500
Message Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2010 4:22 pm  #1

NZ Mark. **Manny Maldonado**

Mark I got this email a few minutes ago....

Hi There, I just got the bug to serch and see if anything was on the web regarding Slot Cars that ran in the 60's at the Rod & Custom races.  My name is Manuel Maldonado and i built cars for many racers at that time. Chuck Blayney had me build him an altered, won first time out, Then Gary Gabelich wonted a top fuel car, won first time out, now these guy's where raceing have years head start on me being around slot car's. Bob Braverman and Gene Hustings where the king's. Chuck and i even went to the race's up in the bay eria on a grayhound bus, nether had a driver's licence. Set low E T and runner uped always ran good up there, San Jose and San Meteo, Oakland. One race had low E T and got to the final and droped a chunk of weight in the final and wheel stood and lost, the guy's runnuing the show asked if i thought i could go faster and i told them yes, so they anownced that i would make a single for a track record.The crowed gathered, it was a car show so there was a bigcrowed, well this thing gets about 50 feet and blow's both rear tier's throwing the car in the air sreaming! You could hear a collective OOOOOH from the crowed. Sold a car to one guy up there that told me if i could build him a car he could go under 1:20 with a Pittman Motor  (he had lots of them)everyone was using the Ram 7 poll now, He would be able to win races. First run right out of the box it went 1:18. The other car i sold up there the guy never paid and when i asked for it back it was in pcs and you could see the lead from the pencil tracing the parts! I quit building cars for people right thin.I did go into Gene Hustings and Bob Braverman's home track and beat them both, then i got drafted and served in Veit Nam as a gunner on a Huey. When i came back the sport was gone. This artical came out well i was in Aberdeen proving grounds in the service. I still have this car! They had a slot car exhibet at the Peterson Museum a few monthes back, all road race stuff, no dragsters when i shoed them my car i got run around to all the guys putting on the exhibit and a few collectors wonting to buy the car! They stopped at $50,000.00 I loved thoses days Rod and Custom had a race at a differant track each month and it was a dog fight, had top time more than once, bragging wright's was alwas worth a lot in drag racing. Manuel

***Intersting huh? ****

DVan

"Where legends are made and records are broken".

11/16/2010 5:53 pm  #2

Re: NZ Mark. **Manny Maldonado**

DV That is awesome mate, shows you are doing a great public service by hosting all this stuff

Thanks
M

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

11/16/2010 5:53 pm  #3

Also he emailed me this, then I got to talking to Manny by phone, great stories. He's going to see if can hook up with Paul Wilde and go racing at BPIR.

More email:
Chuck Blayney and I went drag racing later and my brother was drag racing in the mid 50's so i taged along, Later we had the Rapp & Rossi & Maldonado, Purple Gang top fuel car.So racing is still in my blod. Slot racing was affordable TRACKS WHERE   PLENTIFULL .  Kids need something like this to express themselves and have fun.
Here's some pics he sent...

http://bracket500.com/mb/manny/GaryGabelich1.jpg

Gary Gabelich.

http://bracket500.com/mb/manny/JimDavisSpeedWorld1.jpg

Jim Davis Speed World.

http://bracket500.com/mb/manny/LowETSantaMaria1.jpg

Low E.T. Santa Maria.

http://bracket500.com/mb/manny/Chuckmanuelwayne.jpg

Chuck, Manuel and Wayne

DVan

11/16/2010 5:57 pm  #4

Is that Gary Gabelich who ran more than 600mph and held the 1:1 land speed record for about 14 years?

cool eh

Mark

11/16/2010 6:08 pm  #5

Mark yes it is. I'll post under the pics some info I forgot to add.

We had a great talk, I told him to sign up on the board, you would love
to message with him, I told him you ran the 1 sec run in New Zealand,
by the way he's writing up in the Rod & Customs, march 65. J & J article we have in the library, he's built some of the fastest early electric cars for drag racing.

DVan

11/16/2010 6:17 pm  #6

11/16/2010 6:36 pm  #7

I would love to talk with him!

He sounds a great guy

M

11/16/2010 6:40 pm  #8

Mark he's signed up on the board now... Ohh this doesn't get any better!!!

DVan

11/16/2010 7:02 pm  #9

DV we need to work on Don Garlits next!

I might be able to help, but suspect he wont remember me -  ha

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff277/mhaston/RealCars/DonGarlitswithMark0.jpg

M

11/16/2010 7:08 pm  #10

Mark, maybe Manny can help us, he goes to a car show in July at Bixby Knoll near Long Beach and the guys have a car meet and they all talk about slot drag cars, he might know a few more people than we do.

DVan

11/16/2010 8:07 pm  #11

THIS STUFF IS FRICKIN! AWESOME!

TIMMY!

"It ain't about Class, It's about FASSST!!!

11/18/2010 2:36 pm  #12

DVan,  I sent Manny an email with flyer for the Lions Race...

Jim Chapman

Jimbo's Speed Shop

11/18/2010 2:51 pm  #13

Jim thanks. I'm sure he will show up with a bunch of other racers from them days. He told me they meet at some car show in July (2nd week) in Bixby Knoll and they all talk about slot car drag cars.

DVan

Board footera